MotoGP: Statement from Silverstone

No data was found

12Inglaterra18MgpREPSOL_AA_OACB06304Well, race day didn’t go to plan did it? My goolies have only just dried out after a day of waiting around for track action in consistent rain. Regardless of that rain, we should have witnessed a MotoGP race today, but Silverstone’s new surface dictated otherwise.

The good news, however, is that Tito Rabat’s surgery (on multiple leg fractures) went very well, and the Spaniard even took his first steps just hours after leaving theatre. Leg. End.

So many questions need answering: refunds, that new surface, etc. But I do feel sorry for Silverstone – plus Scott Redding and Bradley Smith who have potentially been robbed of a final MotoGP race at home. Anyway, here’s the official statement – in full – from Silverstone’s Managing Director, Stuart Pringle.

“Firstly and most importantly I would like to apologise to all of the race fans for the most trying and foulest of days at Silverstone. I am truly sorry this has happened. If I had known fans would have to wait for six hours in these conditions with this outcome, I would have taken the decision to cancel the event at midday.

“We were willing to cancel the meeting much earlier but I was assured by Dorna that the teams were willing to race if conditions improved.

“I’m very conscious of the amount of money people have spent on this event. We will be contacting all customers next week to explain what we are doing about the cancellation of this event.

“Nobody is more disappointed by the outcome of today than me and the incredibly hard-working team at Silverstone, who have done everything in their power to try and ensure the race could happen.

“It was not our decision to cancel the racing. This was a sporting matter not under Silverstone control and was a decision made by the riders and Dorna, along with the Safety Commission and Race Direction.

“A plan was made at midday today in consultation with Dorna and Race Direction. We looked closely at the weather predictions provided by the Met Office with whom we were in regular contact all afternoon. The further delay this afternoon was due to the forecast of the rain subsiding, however the final decision was made without our knowledge or input. We kept the decision to race open in good faith, however this was taken out of our hands.

“All the work we have done here to make Silverstone a better place for motorcycle racing has been done with the best of intentions. We will be making further investigations into this matter immediately after the Bank Holiday to understand whether our newly resurfaced track played a part in today’s inability to stage races.

“We will be reviewing all the data we have on the track and gathering more, and together with the contractor, Aggregate Industries, a full investigation will be carried out.

“Once again my sincere personal apologies for today’s events. Can I also extend my thanks and gratitude to all of the marshals, medics, security, catering, track and everyone else working on the event this weekend for their extremely hard work and dedication in trying to keep this event open.”


246546_Loris Baz KTM RC16 Start Silverst

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related COntent